Many well-intentioned persons oppose the idea of consulting a psychiatrist. Yet, psychiatrists have transformed the lives of millions of people with mental health disorders. Besides, the discipline of psychiatry keeps evolving to assist people with mental illness even without an in-person visit to their physician. The competent and compassionate psychiatrists at Psychiatric Consultants of Atlanta will be happy to address any concerns or questions you might have about psychiatric services and can deliver excellent care. Check out this post to learn all you should know about psychiatry care.
What Is The Role Of A Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a physician specializing in the prevention, evaluation, management, and treatment of emotional, behavioral, and mental health disorders. To accomplish this, psychiatrists analyze a patient’s mental health concerns and symptoms and develop a diagnosis based on medical exams, lab testing, and psychological surveys. Moreover, they recognize that there’s no one-size-fits-all; the specialists develop a therapy and care plan tailored to the unique needs of every patient.
Psychiatrists can therefore treat any of the following conditions or illnesses:
- Substance addiction and abuse disorders
- Depressive concerns, including major depressive disorder and seasonal affective disorder
- Anxiety disorders, such as social anxiety disorder, phobias, and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and associated disorders
- Bipolar I & II disorders
- Trauma and stress-related concerns like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders such as binge eating, bulimia nervosa, or anorexia nervosa
- Sleep disorders, such as restless legs syndrome, insomnia, etc.
- Elimination disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Borderline or antisocial personality disorder
- Neurodevelopmental disorders, including attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
What Therapy Options Does A Psychiatrist Offer?
As psychiatrists can treat a wide range of mental illnesses and conditions, they can also provide a full scope of treatments for these concerns. Common procedures that your psychiatrist can offer include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Life Coaching
- Antidepressant medicines
- Antipsychotic medicines
- Sedatives and anxiolytics
- Light therapy
- Mood stabilizers
Does Seeking Psychiatric Care Signal Insanity?
Absolutely not! Seeking psychiatric care implies you’re self-aware enough to identify when you require extra help dealing with your mental, behavioral, or emotional concerns. Nobody has everything planned out accordingly, and everyone has problems they’re dealing with, whether it involves stress management problems, problems sleeping, post-trauma, or the brain’s chemical imbalances. In light of this, it’s extremely common to consult a psychiatrist, even though some people require more psychiatric assistance than others.
What Are The Primary Advantages Of Seeing A Psychiatrist?
Psychiatrists help patients in numerous ways, irrespective of their concerns or issues with their mental health. Some of the benefits of visiting your psychiatrist include:
- Enjoy lasting relief from mental disorders like depression, anxiety, etc.
- Improve your self-esteem, which results in positive personal development
- Determine the underlying causes of your mental health, behavioral, and emotional concerns
- Enhanced management of insecurities, emotions, and stress
- Confront and overcome your worries
If you’re having negative thoughts or feeling lost and hopeless, contact a professional. Psychiatrists have the training and resources to help you feel comfortable and valued during every session. Within several sessions with Bryon K. Evans or one of the expert staff, you’ll realize a considerable improvement in your general mental well-being and life quality. Call the Decatur or Atlanta, GA office or book an appointment online to get started.